Benjamin Millepied lascia l'Opera

« Older   Newer »

1. LittleMissEmi
        +1   -1

User deleted

Il ballerino e coreografo francese Benjamin Millepied lascia la direzione dell'Opera di Parigi. Le motivazioni non sono chiare: alcune fonti sostengono che sia a causa di attriti con i ballerini mentre altre che la moglie (l'attrice Natalie Portman) voglia tornare a Hollywood per riprendere la sua carriera.

Il suo posto sarà preso da Aurelie Dupont.

Edited by *SnowQueen* - 6/2/2016, 22:20

2.     +1   -1

Group
    Moderatore

Status
    Anonymous
    In quest'articolo del NY Times, (che cita interviste da riviste francesi) sembrerebbero emergere delle ragioni dell'abbandono di Millepied. Sembrerebbe che la moglie non c'entri nella sua decisione:

CITAZIONE
    Mr. Millepied, 38, said that he had decided to focus on his own choreography and on a small contemporary dance ensemble he founded four years ago, but his discontent with aspects of his role in Paris has been well documented over the last few months.

The former Paris Opera étoile Aurélie Dupont, 43, who retired last year, will become the new director when Mr. Millepied leaves on July 15.

In interviews with Le Figaro and in a documentary, “Relève,” broadcast on the French television channel Canal Plus, he spoke of his dislike for the rigid hierarchical system of grading and promotion at the Opera; his dissatisfaction with the training at the Paris Opera Ballet School, which is the near-exclusive source of dancers for the company; and the need for the company to be more racially diverse.

In a sideways blow to the notion, often stated as fact in the French news media, that the Paris Opera Ballet is the best company in the world, Mr. Millepied said in the documentary that he was not yet satisfied with the quality of its dancing in the classics. “I’m waiting to see real excellence,” he said, adding, “It’s not the best classical troupe, but it might be the best contemporary company in the world.”
    [...]
    Mr. Millepied, an established choreographer who has created four pieces for the Paris Opera, said in the phone interview that he was leaving to focus on his own work. “I want to regain my freedom and I want to create,” he said. “I’ve been honored to be given the opportunity to work at the Opera and with the dancers, but this job, as it exists today, is not something I want.”

He said that despite rumors that Ms. Portman was unhappy in Paris, the decision to leave was entirely his own. “It is not true that Natalie wanted to go,” he said. “She has been entirely supportive of what I wanted to do.”

He said that they would return to Los Angeles, where he planned to turn the L.A. Dance Project into a larger company that would include ballet in its repertory.

“I want to fully build my vision for a dance company of our time, to respond to cultural challenges, building audiences and making dance more popular,” he said. “It’s time to redefine what a dance organization is today.”

1 replies since 6/2/2016, 21:17   361 views