Igor Shpilband lascia il team Canton

« Older   Newer »

1. ingriddiamond
        +1   -1

User deleted

OMG !! I'm totally shocked !!!

Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic Figure Skating Club

Figure skating coach Igor Shpilband was fired from his position today at the Arctic Figure Skating Club in Canton.

According to Craig O'Neill, longtime general manager of the rink, the move was made in part because its top three teams -- including 2010 Olympic gold and silver medalists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada, and Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White -- felt as if "Igor wasn't there anymore for them."

Shpilband, who with Marina Zoueva built the ice dance program in Canton into the world's best after he left the Detroit Skating Club nearly a decade ago, learned of his dismissal at about 5:30 p.m. in a meeting with O'Neill and rink owner John Stansik.

“I'm totally shocked," Shpilband said. "I have to talk to the kids (skaters). I just left a message with Meryl and Charlie. He (O'Neill) said the kids don't want me at the rink anymore. For what reason, I don't know."

Zoueva, who is remaining at the Arctic FSC, said that Shpilband had created a "conflict of interest" because she said he wanted to work exclusively with two new teams. But O'Neill said that wasn't a factor in the decision.

“What John (Stansik) and I did today was all based on the kids," O'Neill said of Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, and 2011 world bronze medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani. "Igor did talk about starting his own program, and coaching some of his own kids, and we didn't have issues with that. Our main focus has to be the top three teams.

“There was a lot of issues. This has been going on for a couple of months. He's not focused with the kids. What it came down to was the kids didn't want to skate there (in Canton) anymore with Igor. Either they were leaving or Igor was leaving.

“We told him that the kids weren't going to come back to the rink until we had this meeting with you."

O'Neill said that U.S. Figure Skating was apprised of the problems at the rink since the end of April or beginning of May.

Asked what Shpilband's reaction to his dismissal was, O'Neill said: "He was shocked. Absolutely floored."

Shpilband said that he last met with Davis and White, four-time U.S. champions, a couple of weeks ago before they went on vacation.

“I've always been committed 100% to the skaters," Shpilband said.

I read it here !!
    http://www.freep.com/article/20120603/SPOR...ext%­Sports

Edited by Andrea Rika - 4/6/2012, 02:06

19 replies since 4/6/2012, 00:57   562 views