2. •Silvy on Ice~
        +1   -1

User deleted

icenetwork.com
    2012 U.S. qualifying season set to begin
    First three regional championships get under way this week
    By U.S. Figure Skating

c3BflP9q
    (09/29/2011) - The 2012 U.S. Figure Skating qualifying season begins Friday, Sept. 30, with the Eastern Great Lakes, New England and Northwest Pacific regional figure skating championships. The remaining six regional championships take place throughout October.
    Approximately 1,950 skaters in two disciplines (ladies and men's) will compete in five levels (juvenile, intermediate, novice, junior, senior) at the nine regional championships. The top four skaters in each discipline qualify for one of three sectional championships, which will be held Nov. 15-19.
    Several members of the 2011‒12 U.S. Figure Skating team envelope will compete at regional championships, including 2010 U.S. junior silver medalist Yasmin Siraj (New England) and 2011 U.S. junior champion Max Aaron (Southwestern).
    Icenetwork.com will have live results for all users and on-demand video for 2011‒12 Season Pass subscribers.

3.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    A proposito dei talenti giovani...
    qui si parla della CATEGORIA INTERMEDIATE, che sarebbe il livello sotto alla Novice (a sua volta sotto la Junior). Sì, negli USA i nazionali vengono organizzati anche per i pattinatori di sette, otto, nove anni... giustissimo per prepararli alla carriera sportiva.

Hiwatashi crushes field, parades to men's title
    DuPage FSC skater wins intermediate men's with ease

By Renee Felton, special to icenetwork.com

pTl8CWbY
    (12/14/2011) - His coaches say he's explosive, and after watching him skate this week, there is likely nobody who disagrees.
    Big jumps, speed and flexibility are what characterize intermediate men's champion Tomoki Hiwatashi. Not to mention his huge scores. The DuPage FSC skater won easily at the U.S. Junior Championships, totaling 102.34 points, including 66.56 on his free skate.

"He's an explosive skater," coaches Cydele and Alexandre Fadeev said, agreeing with each other. "At competition, he always brings it up 10 notches. Not to say he doesn't keep us guessing in practice, but he brings it at the right moments."

Those moments have translated into consecutive U.S. titles, as last year he won the juvenile boys gold medal.

The "South Rampart Street Parade" program, which drew huge cheers and several bags of goodies from spectators, included two triple Salchows, one in combination, two Level 4 spins and nearly 30 points worth of program components.

"I didn't even have a hand down or anything," Hiwatashi said with a grin. "It was the best skate of my competitive career."

Silver medalist Sean Conlon (15) missed out on a trip to the 2011 U.S. Junior Championships by one spot. The SC of New York athlete was determined to change his fate this year. He upped his training time from five hours a year ago to at least 15 over the last several months.

"Regionals last year provided all the incentive he needed," coach Helen Hyun-Bowlin said. "He worked really hard this year and proved he's a star."

The Casablanca free skate was highlighted by a double Axel-double toe combination. Meanwhile, Conlon, who earned 55.76 points for the piece, worked the crowd in an elegant white tuxedo jacket and received a program components score of 27.45. He totaled 84.68 points for the week.

Paolo Borromeo (13), from the Palm Beach FSC, rebounded from a ninth-place showing after the free skate to earn the bronze medal with a total score of 81.84 points. His Lawrence of Arabia program featured two triple Salchows and a pair of double Axels.

"My goal was to come to intermediate with two solid Axels and Salchows in my programs," he said. "Now I feel I have accomplished a lot at the intermediate level and hope to move to novice next year to see what I can do."

Harrison Wong, of the La Jolla FSC, is the pewter medalist with 81.23 points.

TRADUZIONE:
    (2011/12/14) - I suoi allenatori dicono che è esplosivo, e dopo aver visto lo skateboard questa settimana, non c'è nessuno che probabilmente non è d'accordo.
    Grandi salti, velocità e flessibilità sono ciò che caratterizzano il campione degli uomini intermedio di Tomoki Hiwatashi. Per non parlare sue partiture enorme. Il pattinatore DuPage FSC ha vinto facilmente ai Campionati Junior Stati Uniti, per un totale di 102,34 punti, tra cui 66,56 per il suo skate libero.

"Lui è uno skater esplosivo", allenatori Cydele e Alexandre Fadeev ha detto, concordando con l'altro. "Al concorso, egli porta sempre un aumento del 10 tacche. Per non dire che non ci tengono indovinare in pratica, ma lo porta al momento giusto."

Quei momenti sono tradotti in titoli consecutivi Stati Uniti, come l'anno scorso ha vinto la medaglia giovanile oro ragazzi.

Il "South Street Parade Rampart" programma, che ha attirato applausi enorme e diversi sacchetti di chicche da spettatori, incluso due Salchows tripla, uno in combinazione, due Livello 4 giri e quasi 30 punti del valore di componenti del programma.

"Non ho nemmeno una mano verso il basso o nulla", Hiwatashi detto con un sorriso. "E 'stato il miglior skate della mia carriera agonistica".

Medaglia d'argento Sean Conlon (15) perso durante un viaggio negli Stati Uniti 2011 Campionati Junior da un punto. La SC di atleta di New York era determinato a cambiare il suo destino di quest'anno. Ha alzato il suo tempo alla formazione di cinque ore di un anno fa ad almeno 15 negli ultimi mesi.

"Regionali dello scorso anno a condizione che tutti gli incentivi di cui aveva bisogno," coach Helen Hyun-Bowlin detto. "Ha lavorato molto quest'anno e ha dimostrato che è una stella."

Il Casablanca libero Skate è stato evidenziato da un doppio Axel-doppio toe combinazione. Nel frattempo, Conlon, che ha guadagnato 55,76 punti per il pezzo, ha lavorato la folla con una giacca elegante smoking bianco e ha ricevuto un punteggio programma componenti del 27,45. Lui è pari 84,68 punti per la settimana.

Paolo Borromeo (13), dalla spiaggia di Palm FSC, rimbalzato da un nono posto che mostra dopo il programma libero per guadagnare la medaglia di bronzo con un punteggio totale di 81,84 punti. Il suo Lawrence d'Arabia programma Salchows caratterizzato due triple e un paio di Axel doppio.

"Il mio obiettivo era quello di venire a intermedio, con due Axel solida e Salchows nei miei programmi", ha detto. "Ora sento di aver fatto molto a livello intermedio e spero di passare al novizio il prossimo anno per vedere cosa posso fare."

Harrison Wong, di La Jolla FSC, è la medaglia in peltro con 81,23 punti.

4.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    ice-dance Intermediate

Gigi and Luca Becker - 2012 US National Intermediate Ice Dance Champions

2012Becker gigiluca
    This past week, I had the pleasure of seeing Gigi and Luca Becker win the 2012 U.S. Intermediate Dance title. Then, yesterday, I had a chance to interview their mom.

What is so very remarkable is that the nine and eleven year old sister-brother ice dance team didn't even know how to ice skate three years ago! In fact, they didn't even know what ice dancing was when they were asked to join Wheaton Ice Skating Academy's ice dancing program for children.

5.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    Sono cominciati i nazionali USA!!!

Questi i primi articoli di Golden Skate sugli short program di CATEGORIA NOVICE

CITAZIONE
    Chen leads novice ladies in San Jose

us_nov_ladies_sp
    The 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships continued with the ladies novice short program.
    Local sensation Karen Chen, just 12 years old, is currently in first place.
    “I feel very shocked because I didn’t think that I skated well enough to be in first,” said the Salt Lake City native. “It was the best that I could do today, and I feel happy about that.”
    Representing the home team, the Peninsula Skating Club right here in San Jose, Chen is seeking her third straight national title (2010 Juvenile champion and 2011 Intermediate champion). Though she fell on her opening triple flip, the pint-sized skater was rock-solid throughout the rest of the program, earning the day’s best of 46.54 points.
    “It’s very exciting to be here,” she said quietly. “I know that skaters from all over are excited and nervous about this competition, and it is fun to be a part of that.”
    In second place is 14 year-old Amanda Gelb from southern California, who skated a mature program to music from the film Amélie.
    “I am really proud of my spins and jumps today,” said the sprightly Gelb. “I am especially happy with my triple Salchow because I learned how to do it under pressure.”
    Gelb scored 43.67 points for her efforts.
    Sitting in third place is Amber Glenn from Dallas, who skated last and earned 42.45 points.
    “I got really nervous before the short, but I just had fun and went for it,” she said after her Tango de Roxanne program. “I like performing to this kind of music.”
    Earlier in the day, Whitney Miller and Kyle MacMillan took the lead after placing first in both pattern dances, scoring 50.06 points total.
    Finishing in second place were Holly Moore and Daniel Klaber, while Hannah Rosinski and Jacob Jaffe finished in third.
    The novice ladies and dance medalists will be decided on Monday afternoon.

CITAZIONE
    Zhou leads novice men at U.S. Nationals

us_nov_men_sp
    The novice men lit up the HP Pavillion in San Jose, Calif., this afternoon at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and as an added bonus, the top two men are local skaters.
    In the tradition of two-time novice men’s champion Nathan Chen, 11-year-old Vincent Zhou, the youngest in the competition, overcame his older counterparts to win the short program.
    “It was really fun skating at my first big nationals,” said the Palo Alto, Calif., native. “I wanted to do well where I was born.”
    Skating to Nut Rocker by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the 7th grader (who incidentally also takes freshman level mathematics classes) earned a partial standing ovation.
    “I was really happy about that,” he said with a grin.
    Zhou leads the field with 52.45 points, just .02 points below Chen’s record setting performance from last season.
    “My component scores were the highest they have ever been,” Zhou said. “I must have lost some levels on my technical elements, though.”
    Finishing in second place was another local, 14-year-old Kevin Shum, from nearby Piedmont, Calif., with 50.85 points.
    “Skating in front of a hometown crowd made me nervous,” he admitted, “but I put myself into my comfort zone immediately and was able to perform well.”
    Shum skated a seemingly relaxed program to Robert Longfield’s Vortex, and was proud to land his first triple Lutz in a short program.
    “I’ve done it in the free before, and I was glad it worked in the short today.”
    Nicholas Vrdoljak, 15, from Westmont, Ill., is in third place after a strong program to selections from Man in the Iron Mask.
    “Like in the film, my program and costume represents two different people,” he said. “I tried my best today, and I did very well.”
    Vrdoljak finished with 46.60 points in the competition.
    The novice men’s medals will be determined on Monday afternoon.

CITAZIONE
    Liu and Perini lead novice pairs at U.S. Nationals

us_nov_pairs_sp
    Last year’s novice pairs silver medalists stepped up to the challenge of being pre-event favorites this afternoon at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and won the short program in San Jose, Calif.
    Chelsea Liu, 12, and her 18-year-old partner, Devin Perini skated a peppy program to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.
    “Chelsea was just 11-years-old last season, and we didn’t want to rush her into anything too quickly,” coach Jenni Meno explained. “We are investing in this team in the long term, and are letting them develop at a natural pace.”
    Liu and Perini were pleased with their performance, and earned 38.83 points overall.
    “We did each element one at a time,” Perini explained. “We really focused on getting our levels, and we are happy that things came out so well.”
    In second place were last year’s pewter medalists Caitlin Fields,16, and Jason Pacini, 21, who are in a virtual tie with the leaders with 38.13 points.
    “It went well today,” Fields said. “We performed our best, and we were rewarded with a personal best score.”
    In their program, set to Randy Newman’s The Flick Machine, the duo performed the only throw double Axel of the competition.
    “I wish that it would be rewarded more,” said coach Doug Ladret said. “It’s much more difficult than the throw double loop, and I think it should get more credit.”
    Finishing in third place were 19-year-old Alexandria Shaughnessy and her 20-year-old partner James Morgan with 37.02 points.
    “It felt good out there,” said Shaughnessy. “It was nice to do what we always do in practice.”
    The novice pairs medals will be awarded tomorrow afternoon following the free skating competition.

6.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    I nuovi campioni di categoria NOVICE
    articoli di Golden Skate

CITAZIONE
    Chen takes U.S. ladies novice title

us_nov_ladies_lp
    The San Francisco 49ers loss last night added to the gloom of a rainy Monday afternoon in the Bay Area today, but a local girl cast away the clouds in a big way at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, Calif.
    Karen Chen, a prodigious 12-year-old, captured the novice ladies title with the highest competition score ever since the new judging system was put into place at the U.S. Championships back in 2006. Her program, set to music from The Godfather, was as convincing as Don Vito Corleone himself.
    “I feel very happy that my points were higher than the last time I competed,” she said. I know I’ve improved from my last competition and I’m very happy thinking of that.”
    Barely able to see over the boards surrounding the ice at the HP Pavilion, Chen completed the most technically demanding program of the competition. With a double Axel-triple toe loop combination, as well as five other triple jump attempts, the Fremont, Calif., native ran away with the title by a little less than 15 points.
    The win is Chen’s third national title in as many years, winning the juvenile and intermediate titles in 2010 and 2011, respectively. Her competition total of 140.17 points eclipses the former record set by 2006 Champion Rhiana Brammeier.
    “Kristi Yamaguchi has helped me,” Chen shared about her fellow Fremont resident. “She told me to think about my goal and what I want to accomplish. That has helped me push through hard times.”
    Moving up from third place after the short program to capture the silver medal, was 12-year-old Amber Glenn from Plano, Texas.
    “I had a lot of motivation from my inspiring family and coach,” she said. “They pushed me and helped me get through the rough times so that I could work hard and get the harder jumps.”
    Skating to perhaps the most popular music of the season—The Black Swan soundtrack, Glenn was fearless in her attack. The tiny Texan landed five triple jumps, including two Lutzes, to finish with 125.88 points in the competition.
    “She got off the ice today and said, ‘I did it when it mattered,’” said coach Ann Brumbaugh about her medal-winning student. “That was a fun thing for her to learn. She’s always had the talent. She just had to overcome her nerves.”
    Slipping a place to win the bronze medal was 14-year-old Eastvale, Calif., resident Amanda Gelb. Despite the lesser technical content—Gelb only attempted two triple Salchows, she was able to use her strong component skills to stake her claim to the podium.
    “I had fun and did my best,” Gelb said after the competition. “I accomplished all of my goals.”
    Skating to Edvin Marton’s Romeo and Juliet, Gelb earned 122.34 points in the competition.
    Madison Vinci maintained her fourth place standing after the short program yesterday to win the pewter medal despite her seventh place finish in today’s competition. The 15-year-old from Leesburg, Va., skated to Phantom of the Opera, and finished with 116.56 points in the competition.

CITAZIONE
    Moore and Klaber win novice title at U.S. Nationals

us_nov_fd
    It was a great day to represent the Pavilion SC of Cleveland, Ohio, as two teams representing the relatively unknown club captured medals in the novice dance competition at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
    Leading the way were Holly Moore, 16, and Daniel Klaber, 17, who moved up from second place after the novice set pattern dances yesterday to capture their first national medal of any color.
    Teammates Hannah Rosinski and Jacob Jaffe earned the bronze medals.
    “We really had a lot of fun,” Moore said after the free dance. “We love our program, and I really hope that showed. We worked hard this season, and it really paid off.”
    Last year, Moore and Klaber finished in eighth place in this competition, and are proud to have made such a big leap to the top of the podium.
    “We got a personal best score, so that was very exciting,” Moore explained. “I think that over the season, the program has really built. It was exciting to put it all together at the right time.”
    Skating a sassy number to Julie Andrews’ Le Jazz Hot, the gold medalists not only earned level four for each of their three lifts, but they also earned the same for their dance spin. Their free dance total of 62.02 was enough to catapult them into first place, overcoming a three-point deficit after the pattern dances. The duo score 109.53 points in the competition overall.
    The overnight leaders, Whitney Miller, 13, and Kyle MacMillan, 14, slipped to second place with a strong, but less technically demanding, routine in their first season together as a team.
    “It felt like it was one of our best skates and we were really happy with the scores,” Miller said.
    Miller and MacMillan, who hail from the Washington D.C. area, skated to Hungarian Gypsy Waltz and Pet Nahych Berusek, earning level four for each of their lifts. However, their circular step sequence earned just a level two.
    “We still need to work on our power,” MacMillan admitted. “We need more flow in our programs, and that will help us with levels as we progress.”
    The silver medalists earned 58.07 points for the free dance and 108.13 overall.
    Rosinski, 16, and Jaffe, 17, managed just fourth place in the free dance, but were able to hold onto third place overall on the strength of yesterday’s pattern dances scores.
    “We are really excited,” Rosinski said. “We feel that it was the best free dance performance that we’ve ever competed.”
    The duo skated a fun routine to music by James Brown, but was unable to keep pace with the leaders in terms of levels. For both the midline steps and the dance spin, Rosinski and Jaffe earned just level two. The bronze medalists earned a competition total of 99.13 points.
    Winning the pewter medals, though finishing in third place in the free dance, were 11-year-old Chloe Lewis and 13-year-old Logan Bye, who train in the Colorado Springs, Colo., area. They earned a competition total of 93.99 points, and could be a threat to win the title next season.

CITAZIONE
    Zhou wins U.S. novice men’s title; breaks record

us_nov_men_lp
    The youngest competitor in the novice men’s competition—11-year-old hometown favorite Vincent Zhou won the competition this afternoon at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. The 7th grader equaled his ladies counterpart and broke the record for the highest score at the U.S. Championships by a novice male.
    “It’s incredible,” Zhou said of winning the title. “It was a great skate and a lot of effort. All of my hard work and training paid off.”
    Zhou scored 164.96 points, landing five clean triple jumps along the way. The crowd was on his side from the start, wishing the Palo Alto, Calif., native to do well.
    “Skating here at home really put a lot of pressure on me to do well,” Zhou admitted. “But now I am basking in the glory of standing on top of the podium, which can be a once in a lifetime experience. Who knows if it will ever happen again?”
    Zhou, who skated to Iron Monkey by James L. Venable and to Rising Sun by Kiyoshi Yoshida, has a love of Legos and Nerf guns when he isn’t skating.
    “We had to limit his time with the Legos,” said his mother. “He is near-sited, and we want to make sure that he takes care of his eyes.”
    However, like the little boy that he is, he gave his mom a hug and smiled sheepishly when she said she was proud of him.
    “He makes me very happy and proud,” she said.
    Finishing in a distant second place, was James Schetelich, who moved up from fourth place after the short program to capture the silver medal.
    “I did every jump the best that it could be,” said the 15-year-old. “I actually said that to myself the entire way through the program. I stayed positive.”
    Schetelich also landed five triple jumps in his West Side Story program, but the jumps weren’t as clean as the winner’s.
    “I love triple-triples,” he said. “Hopefully next year I’ll be able to use them and may have some.”
    Schetelich, from Scotch Plains, N.J., earned a competition total of 139.77 points.
    Finishing with the bronze medal was another 15-year-old, Spencer Howe from Woodland Hills, Calif. After finishing in fifth place in the short program, Howe was confident that he could move up in the free skate.
    “I thought that it was a good choice,” Howe said of his music Phantom of the Opera. “It was my first time doing a more dramatic piece. It made me a stronger skater.”
    Howe finished the competition with 134.22 points.
    Slipping from second place after the short program to fourth overall was another local skater, 14 year-old Piedmont, Calif., native Kevin Shum. The pewter medalist popped three jumps in his Nauscicaa of the Valley of the Wind program, and earned 132.68 total points.

CITAZIONE
    Liu and Perini capture novice U.S. title in pairs

us_nov_pairs_lp
    The top four teams remained the same at the conclusion of the novice pairs free skate at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Leading the way was Chelsea Liu, 12, and Devin Perini, 18, who skated to a fun Charlie Chaplin inspired program to capture their first U.S. title.
    The pair, who train in southern California with former world medalists Jenni Meno and Todd Sand, opened with side by side double Lutzes on which Liu fell.
    “The warm up wasn’t good, but we just did the best that we could do,” said Liu. “I tried to put the fall behind me to focus on the rest of the program.”
    The new champions earned level four on five different elements, and earned a competition score of 122.63 points.
    “I think that the thing that’s great is that they showed that they are tough competitors,” said coach Meno. “I think they felt a lot of pressure even though we didn’t want to put that on them.”
    Holding on to second place were the team of Caitlin Fields, 16, and Jason Pacini, 21, who train in Arizona with Olympian Doug Ladret. The duo attempted a throw triple loop, but was unsuccessful on the landing.
    “We definitely had a shaky beginning,” Pacini said of their Cutthroat Island program. “I think we recovered nicely and finished strong at the end.”
    Fields and Pacini finished with 118.89 points in the competition.
    Winning the bronze medals were Alexandria Shaughnessy, 19, and James Morgan, 19. The duo skated to music from the musical Evita, and finished with 113.87 points, up from fifth place last season.
    “We just trained really hard and our coaches sent us in the right direction,” Shaughnessy said. “We really love to perform, so we were excited to go out there and do our best.”
    Finishing with the pewter medals (107.70) were 12-year-old Christina Zaitsev and 18-year-old Ernie Utah Stevens.

Edited by Andrea Rika - 24/1/2012, 19:29

7.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status

U.S. Figure Skating Championships 2011/2012
    NOVICE - RESULTS

NOVICE LADIES
    Place Start No. Name Short Program Free Skate Total Score
    1 8 Karen Chen, Peninsula SC 1 46.54 1 93.63 140.17
    2 9 Amber Glenn, Dallas FSC 3 42.45 2 83.43 125.88
    3 7 Amanda Gelb, Los Angeles FSC 2 43.67 3 78.67 122.34
    4 10 Madison Vinci, WA FSC 4 41.90 7 74.66 116.56
    5 11 Olivia Serafini, SC of NY 6 38.64 4 76.76 115.40
    6 4 Brianna Laxson, WA FSC 7 38.41 6 76.13 114.54
    7 12 Selena Zhao, Highland SC 5 39.12 8 72.16 111.28
    8 2 Avery Kurtz, Broadmoor SC 9 32.97 5 76.26 109.23
    9 1 Dyllan McIntee, SC of Phoenix 8 34.36 10 67.26 101.62
    10 3 Bradie Tennell, Wagon Wheel FSC 10 32.60 9 68.78 101.38
    11 5 Morgan Sewall, North Atlantic FSC 11 30.38 11 64.64 95.02
    12 6 Madison DeLuca, Arctic FSC 12 28.81 12 52.98 81.79

NOVICE MEN
    1 7 Vincent Zhou, Peninsula SC 1 52.45 1 112.51 164.96
    2 11 James Schetelich, SC of NY 4 46.45 2 93.32 139.77
    3 12 Spencer Howe, Los Angeles FSC 5 46.06 3 88.16 134.22
    4 10 Kevin Shum, St. Moritz ISC 2 50.85 7 81.83 132.68
    5 8 Jimmy Ma, SC of NY 6 43.88 4 85.41 129.29
    6 5 Brian Krentz, Skokie Valley SC 7 42.06 6 81.99 124.05
    7 9 Nicholas Vrdoljak, DuPage FSC 3 46.60 8 77.22 123.82
    8 4 Chase Belmontes, Broadmoor SC 10 40.24 5 82.86 123.10
    9 6 Kyle Shropshire, Wagon Wheel FSC 11 39.12 9 77.04 116.16
    10 1 Tony Lu, SC of Wilmington 9 41.07 10 73.03 114.10
    11 3 Oleksiy Melnyk, WA FSC 8 41.97 11 71.93 113.90
    12 2 Wilbur Ji, SC of San Francisco 12 38.24 12 70.20 108.44

NOVICE PAIRS
    1 11 Chelsea Liu, Devin Perini, 1 38.83 1 83.80 122.63
    2 12 Caitlin Fields, Jason Pacini, 2 38.13 2 80.76 118.89
    3 10 Alexandria Shaughnessy, James Morgan, 3 37.02 4 76.85 113.87
    4 9 Christina Zaitsev, Ernie Utah Stevens, 4 33.90 5 73.80 107.70
    5 8 Elise Middleton, Robert Hennings, 8 27.07 3 77.24 104.31
    6 6 Danielle Viola, Alexander Johnson, 5 33.82 6 70.33 104.15
    7 5 Allison Smith, Anthony Evans, 6 27.91 7 61.46 89.37
    8 7 Hannah Klopstock, Chadwick Phillips, 7 27.60 9 50.79 78.39
    9 4 Nancy Xu, Robert Przepioski, 10 20.10 8 51.54 71.64
    10 1 Alexis Donahoe, James Rappold, 9 20.78 10 42.30 63.08
    11 2 Victoria LoRusso, Timothy Habeeb, 11 18.07 11 38.68 56.75
    12 3 Lianna Thomas, Gene Fu, 12 13.11 12 36.97 50.08

NOVICE DANCE
    1 12 Holly Moore, Daniel Klaber, 2 47.51 1 62.02 109.53
    2 9 Whitney Miller, Kyle MacMillan, 1 50.06 2 58.07 108.13
    3 10 Hannah Rosinski, Jacob Jaffe, 3 44.42 4 54.71 99.13
    4 11 Chloe Rose Lewis, Logan Bye, 4 38.62 3 55.37 93.99
    5 5 Stacey Siddon, Jared Weiss, 6 36.64 5 52.41 89.05
    6 8 Meara Lorello, William Dean, 7 35.38 6 47.52 82.90
    7 4 Hannah Pfeifer, Grant Lorello, 10 34.25 7 47.17 81.42
    8 7 Sierra Chadwick, Alexander Martin, 5 38.19 9 42.62 80.81
    9 1 Madison George, Brad Kleffman, 9 34.77 8 44.21 78.98
    10 6 Rebecca Lucas, Yan Kazansky, 8 35.36 10 39.74 75.10
    11 3 Lauren Leonesio, Dustin Perini, 11 29.86 11 39.27 69.13
    12 2 Karen Tong, David Cruikshank, 12 24.94 12 34.18 59.12

8.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    CATEGORIA JUNIOR

CITAZIONE
    Dolensky grabs narrow lead in junior men at U.S. Nationals

us_jr_men_sp
    The 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships continued Sunday with the junior men’s short program – the final event of the day.
    Last season 19-year-old Timothy Dolensky watched the junior men’s competition at home, failing to qualify for the event after a disappointing performance at the Eastern Sectional Championships. This season, armed with a piece of music that he composed himself, Dolensky finds himself at the top of the leader board after the short program in San Jose, Calif.
    “It’s pretty cool,” he said with a smile after the competition. “I like to think of (skating to his own composition) as an advantage because it’s easy to be inspired by something you create.”
    In his program, which he appropriately named Windfall, the Kennesaw, Ga., native, opened with a strong triple loop-triple toe loop combination.
    “It’s the first time I landed a triple-triple in competition,” said the Kennesaw State University student. “I knew that if I did my best, that I could compete with the top men here.”
    Dolensky also landed a triple Lutz, and earned level four on all of his spins to just eke out the win with 63.20 points. He leads two-time novice men’s champion Nathan Chen by .05 points.
    Chen, 13, skated an age-appropriate program to music from the film Wall-E, and won over the crowd with his playful robotic choreography.
    “I kind of came up with the idea for this program,” he said. “It’s fun. I really like this program.”
    Chen opened with a playful step sequence, and then landed a nice double Axel. The Salt Lake City native’s triple flip-triple toe loop combination was effortless, and he closed out the jump requirements with a good triple Lutz.
    “I did a couple clean short programs before the competition, so I felt pretty confident,” he said. “I was a little nervous, but I was able to stay calm.”
    Chen earned 63.15 points for his efforts—his highest score at the U.S. Nationals.
    In third place is 20-year-old Timothy Koleto from Colorado Springs, Colo., with 59.18 points.
    “I wanted to not just skate a clean program,” he explained, “but I also wanted to give a performance that projected all the way up to the last seats in the arena.”
    Koleto did give a clean performance, with a double Axel and triple Lutz, but his triple loop-double toe loop combination kept him from challenging the leaders.
    “I just tried to do what I train to do,” Koleto said. “I was able to stay level-headed and focused.
    In fourth place is another skater from Colorado Springs, 16-year-old Lukas Kaugars with 57.96 points. Kaugars landed a slightly flawed triple flip-triple toe loop combination as well as a nice triple Lutz, but was unable to keep pace with the leaders based on his level one and two spins.
    Philip Warren, 18, from Redlands, Calif., finished in fifth place with 57.42 points, while 17-year-old Jay Yostanto—the only competitor to land a triple Axel in the competition—is in sixth with 54.72 points.
    The junior men’s champion will be crowned on Tuesday evening.

CITAZIONE
    Gold leads junior ladies at U.S. Nationals

us_jr_ladies_sp
    It was time for Gracie Gold to put up or shut up. The confident 16-year-old has been the talk of the American skating world since she started winning everything in sight this past summer.
    Gold, who took a commanding lead after the short program last night at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, Calif., makes no apologies for taking control of her own destiny.
    “I think I deserve this,” Gold said of her first place standing. “I have worked really hard for this, and I’ve done everything that that needs to be done to get here.”
    Boy did she ever. The Springfield, Ill., native opened with an easy triple flip-triple toe loop combination reminiscent of 2010 Olympic Champion Yuna Kim’s trademark jumping pass. Gold earned for each of her jumps—including a triple Lutz and double Axel, positive Grades of Execution (GOE), propelling her to a whopping 60.21 points.
    “A lot of people have been talking the talk about me, and it was my turn to walk the walk,” Gold said. “It was great, and I had so much fun. I was a little nervous, but I had plenty of time to calm down and get my head around competing.”
    Performing to a modern version of Tchaikovsky’s Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, the leader seemed completely focused on the job at hand.
    “I have been preparing for this for months,” she said. “I used to have problems focusing, but I have been seeing a sports psychologist since last March. I’ve learned how important it is to pay attention to what I am doing, and to stop watching what everyone else is doing.”
    Last year’s novice champion, 15-. year-old Hannah Miller, is in second place, some five points behind the leader. Though she could not compete with Gold’s triple-triple combination, she did out-spin her. Gold received level three for each of her spins, while Miller earned level four on each of hers.
    “It was a great program for me,” said Miller, who hails from Williamstown, Mich., said. “We made the decision to focus on a clean program, and that was what I set out to do.”
    Miller landed a solid triple flip-double toe loop combination, but received an edge call on her triple Lutz attempt. She scored 54.44 points for her Danse Macabre program.
    “I am working on a triple-triple,” she admitted, “but I am focusing on clean programs. I probably won’t put one in the free skate.”
    Finishing in third place was Ashley Cain, a statuesque 16-year-old from Dallas, Texas, who is also entered in the senior pairs competition.
    “Because my schedule is so busy this week, we sat down and came up with a plan,” offered Cain. “It’s all about building throughout the week, and it’s going very well for now.”
    Cain used her playful presentation style throughout her Montserrat short program, drawing the audience into her world, but backed it up with solid triple jumps as well.
    “I worked with (choreographer) Scott Brown a lot on this program,” Cain said. “It took me a little bit out of my box, but in a good way.”
    Cain, sixth in last year’s championships, earned 51.80 points.
    Finishing in fourth place is local girl Polina Edmonds, 13, who landed the first triple-triple of the night—a triple flip-triple toe loop. The San Jose native won over the crowd with her youthful exuberance and flirtatious eyes throughout her American folk music short program. She scored 51.02 points.
    A pair of 15-year-olds—Barbie Long and Mariah Bell, last year’s novice silver and bronze medalists, are in fifth and sixth place respectively.
    The junior ladies medalists will be determined on Wednesday evening at the HP Pavilion.

CITAZIONE
    Denney and Frazier lead junior pairs in San Jose

us_jr_pairs_sp
    The junior pairs competition at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, Calif., was chock full of promising skating, and when the final standings were posted, any of the top five teams could come away with the title.
    Leading the way are Haven Denney, 16, and Brandon Frazier, 19, a product of the Dalilah Sappenfield/Larry Ibarra machine out of Colorado Springs, Colo. The mother and son coaching team boast four of the top five teams in the competition. Denney and Frazier take a two-point lead into the free skate.
    “We are excited to do our personal best here,” Frazier said. “It didn’t feel like we were skating at nationals, but instead it felt more like a day at the office. We were very relaxed and comfortable.”
    Their Chicago-themed program featured a strong throw triple loop and a hold-your-breath lift in which Denney’s back was parallel to the ice. The team, who skated together on the juvenile and intermediate level before splitting up a couple of seasons back, renewed their partnership when Denney returned to Colorado Springs with her older sister, Caydee, early last year.
    “I knew that one day we would skate together again,” Frazier said. “It was something that I kind of knew would always happen.”
    Denney agreed. “Brandon is like my brother. We have a great relationship, and it makes it so easy to skate together.”
    After a scoring error was corrected, Denney and Frazier moved into first place with 52.83 points.
    Finishing in second are Junior Grand Prix Final qualifiers Jessica Noelle Calalang, 16, and Zack Sidhu, 19, with 50.84 points. A sprained right ankle to Sidhu kept them from competing until this week.
    “It’s a lot better now,” he explained. “We’re really happy with how we skated, and it was a good performance.”
    Skating to a Ragtime-themed program, Calalang had to be convinced to give the program a try.
    “At first I didn’t really like the music,” she admitted, “but then it grew on me.”
    Coach Todd Sand said that music choice is something that is quite challenging for the two.
    “This was something that they both could agree upon,” said the former U.S. Champion. “Jessica is very much about skating to classical music, while Zack likes more character-driven pieces. This was in the middle for them, and I think that it is a nice fit. It’s like a show program in some ways.”
    In third place, are another Sappenfield/Ibarra creation—Britney Simpson, 15, and Matthew Blackmer, 20, the Junior Grand Prix Final bronze medalists.
    “It was nice to come out and do what we do at home,” Simpson said. “(The Junior Grand Prix) has taught us how to compete well and what we need to bring to the table.”
    The duo earned 49.12 points for their clean Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon program.
    “This was good experience,” Blackmer said. “Every program is another step in our development as a team, and I’m happy with how we skated today.”
    In fourth place was another team from Colorado Springs, Kylie Duarte, 18, and Colin Grafton, 20, who scored 48.83 points. Like the skaters ahead of them, Duarte and Grafton also skated without error, and have a great shot at a podium finish.
    Madeline Aaron, 17, and Max Settlage, 19, finished in fifth place with 46.26 points, and AnnaMarie Pearce, 18, and Craig Norris, 22, are in sixth with 45.54 points.

CITAZIONE
    Aldridge and Eaton lead junior ice dance at U.S. Nationals

us_jr_sd
    Junior Grand Prix Finalists Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton won the junior short dance at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships., holding off a strong charge by the defending silver medalists Lauri Bonacorsi and Travis Mager.
    The two teams are separated by a little more than one point, and are both hungry to win the U.S. title tomorrow afternoon.
    “We feel really prepared,” said Aldridge, 17. “We stepped up our training for the Final, and we’ve never let up on that pace. All of that work is starting to pay off.”
    The leaders, skating the requisite Cha Cha Congelato, edged out Bonacorsi and Mager on the basis of their component scores.
    “We’ve really matured as a team this season,” said the 19-year-old Eaton. “We feel more of a connection on the ice—it really is true that the older you get, the stronger you get.”
    The Michigan natives skated a feisty number to Mark Anthony’s I Need to Know, and earned a total of 54.42 point for their efforts.
    “We had a lot of fire today,” Aldridge said with a laugh. “This was so far our most exciting short dance of the season.”
    The reigning silver medalists came to San Jose with one mission—to become U.S. junior ice dance champions. With stronger technical marks than the leaders today, they know that they have a shot to accomplish their goal.
    “I’m happy that we skated a good program today,” said 19 year-old Bonacorsi. “I think that we can do a lot more tomorrow.”
    Her 21 year-old partner concurred.
    “Today was making sure that our levels were there and that we performed with the correct Latin expression,” Mager explained. “We are more lyrical skaters, and tomorrow’s program plays much more to our strengths.”
    Bonacorsi and Mager earned 53.39 points for their Chilly Cha Cha/Besame Mucho program.
    Finishing in third place after traveling halfway across the globe to get here, were the sibling team of Rachel Parsons, 14, and Michael Parsons, 16. The duo is fresh off a fourth place finish at the Youth Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria, last week.
    “It was an amazing experience,” said Rachel Parsons. “It was the best time I ever had, meeting skaters from all over the world. It was so much fun!”
    The fun continued this week as the 2011 novice champions made the meteoric leap into medal position on the junior level.
    “We wanted to compete here so that we could set ourselves up for Junior Grand Prix assignments next year,” Michael Parsons explained. “Ultimately we would like to skate at Junior Worlds, but for now, we’ll be happy with skating well in this competition.”
    Parsons and Parsons scored 50.80 points in this phase of competition.
    Finishing in fourth place were Lorraine McNamara, 12, and Quinn Carpenter, 15, with 49.11 points.
    Rounding out the top six were Madeline Heritage, 17, and Nathaniel Fast, 20, in fifth, and 15-year-old Kaitlin Hawayek and 19-year-old Michael Bramante in sixth.

Edited by Andrea Rika - 25/1/2012, 22:38

9.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    CITAZIONE
    Chen nabs junior men’s title at U.S. Nationals

us_jr_men_lp
    Nathan Chen did it again. For the third year in a row, the 13-year-old Salt Lake City native walks away from the U.S. Figure Skating Championships with a gold medal around his neck. After winning two novice titles in a row, Chen captured the junior men’s title by more than six points, bringing the San Jose crowd to its feet.
    “It was really fun,” Chen said with a shy grin. “I had a good time out there—it was one of my better skates.”
    Skating to music from the soundtrack to the Godfather, Chen landed seven clean triple jumps, and earned level four on two spins to become the youngest junior men’s champion in recent history (at press time, it was being confirmed if he is the youngest ever).
    “When I was really, really little, I saw Evgeni Plushenko skate this music, and I always wanted to skate to it,” he said. “This season seemed to be the right time to do it.”
    The program ended with a snarl by the champion, with his hand reaching out to the audience, who was begging for more.
    “I’ve been watching old skating programs of past phenomena,” he explained. “I noticed how much power and energy they had in their programs, and I wanted to do that. I really tried to bring that at the end.”
    Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best for the 7th grader.
    Timothy Dolensky, the 19-year–old who held a narrow lead over Chen after the short program, skated a strong program to music by the Gypsy Kings, but couldn’t keep pace with the champion’s technical content.
    “I had a good time, and I am so happy with how things turned out today,” Dolensky said. “The crowd was great, and I couldn’t be happier.”
    With only two senior men eligible for the Junior World Championships next month in Minsk, Belarus, Dolensky looks to be a lock for the three-person team.
    “That would be amazing,” he said. “I would look forward to that immensely if it were to happen.”
    The Kennesaw State University student finished with 187.84 points in the competition.
    Finishing in third place was 18-year-old Phillip Warren from Redlands, Calif., with 182.17 points. His second place finish in the free skate moved him up from fifth place to capture the bronze medal.
    “I want to thank the city of San Jose for giving us such a great competition, arena, and fans,” Warren said. “I hoped they like what I did tonight.”
    Warren skated a peppy program to Randy Newman’s Ragtime, and nailed seven triple jumps along the way.
    “Mostly I skate for the audience,” he said. “Of course I want to perform well for the judges, too, but my first coach gave me my love for skating and inspired me to do what I love to do. I just want to share that with everybody.”
    Both Dolensky and Warren plan to compete as senior men next season, while the 75-pound Chen expects to stick around on the junior level for one more season.
    “I’m just getting to be old enough to skate junior internationally, so I think I’ll stay junior,” he said. “I’m still little and need more time to prepare for senior.”
    After a devastating 10th place finish in the short program on Sunday, 18-year-old Harrison Choate was hoping to forget the whole thing even happen. But the Weston, Mass., resident stuck it out, and made a rare leap up to the podium, finishing with the pewter medal.
    “I was depressed, and told my mom that I wanted to go home,” he said. “My coaches told me to stay focused, and that it isn’t over until it’s over. They were right.”
    Choate landed seven triple jumps in his entertaining La Strada program, and ended up with 163.43 points in the event.
    “I’m kind of in shock right now,” he admitted. “I can’t believe that this happened.”
    Lukas Kaugars, fourth in the short program, struggled in the middle of his program and slipped to fifth place overall. The 16-year-old finished with 154.95 points.
    Timothy Koleto, 20, fell from third place after a strong short program to a disappointing sixth after falling twice and making mistakes on several other jumps.

CITAZIONE
    Aldridge and Eaton take junior ice dance title at U.S. Nationals

us_jr_fd
    Junior Grand Prix Finalists Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton Irish step-danced their way to a junior national title today at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. The enthusiastic HP Pavilion crowd showed appreciation for the champions’ fast- paced Lord of the Dance program, spurring them on to victory.
    “We skated really well today, and the crowd was a big part of that,” Eaton said. “We performed as well as we could have, and I really enjoyed it today.”
    The duo was the class of the field, performing with great speed and attack, earning level fours on all elements except the steps. The program seemed to fit Aldridge, 17, and Eaton, 19, like a glove.
    “This dance was not our first pick,” Aldridge admitted. “We had a different program, and we just didn’t seem to move well to it. I saw that Lord of the Dance was coming to Detroit, so I Googled some of the videos from the show and liked it.”
    But Eaton wasn’t completely sold on the idea.
    “I was the person most against it,” he admitted. “I thought that it would be too challenging for us, I don’t know why. But now I think it is the best decision that we made all season because we have connected so well with the music. It’s so much fun to perform.”
    The gold medalists earned 142.10 points in the competition.
    Settling for the silver medals for the second year in a row were Lauri Bonacorsi, 18, and Travis Mager, 21. Though the runners up had a strong performance, they failed to capture the magic that the winners did this afternoon.
    “We put our hearts into it,” said a disappointed Bonacorsi.
    Mager added, “Skating with Lauri is my favorite thing about figure skating. We bring out the best in each other as people, and it’s so easy to share that with people when we perform.”
    The two-time silver medalists skated to Close to You by Sandra and Tony Alessi, a throwback to the days of Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev. They scored more than seven points less than the champions in the free dance, and finished with 133.73 points overall.
    Finishing in third place were 12-year-old Lorraine McNamara and 15-year-old Quinn Carpenter, last year’s ninth place finishers.
    “It felt great to skate so well for everybody,” said the tiny McNamara.
    Her baby-faced partner added, “We like to think of each other as one person when we are out there instead of two people. That went really well today.”
    The Washington D.C. trained team moved up from fourth place after the short dance to become one of the youngest ice dancing teams to medal on the junior level at the U.S. Championships. In fact, the team is too young to be considered for the upcoming Junior World Championships.
    McNamara and Carpenter finished with 126.10 points in the competition, leapfrogging their training mates, Rachel Parsons, 14, and Michael Parsons, 16, to win the bronze medals.
    Parsons and Parsons performed well, but appeared a little tired in their To Glory/Enigmatic Soul program. This is the second time in a little more than a week that the duo finished in fourth place—just missing the podium at the Youth Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria, last week. They finished with 123.26 points.
    Finishing in fifth place were Madeline Heritage, 17, and Nathaniel Fast, 20, the locally trained team who earned 118.17 points. Kaitlin Hawayek, 15, and Michael Bramante, 19 placed sixth.

CITAZIONE
    Denney and Frazier golden in San Jose

us_jr_pairs_lp
    It was a huge day in the lives of Delilah Sappenfield and her son Larry Ibarra. The tandem, who coach out of the Broadmoor Skating Club in Colorado Springs, Colo., swept the top three spots of the podium of the junior pairs competition at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships this afternoon in San Jose, Calif.
    “I don’t know that I’ve fully gelled with this yet,” said Sappenfield. “My kids skated so well, and that’s the most important thing. They were training well in their preparation for this competition, and I am just so proud of them.”
    Sappenfield characterized each of the teams in one word, each different from each the other—Explosive. Lyrical. Classical.
    Leading the charge for team Broadmoor are the ‘explosive’ team of 16-year-old Haven Denney, and her 19-year-old partner Brandon Frazier.
    “It was just like at home,” Frazier said of their Pearl Harbor free skate. “It felt like any other run through at home. We were very prepared.”
    The gold medalists opened with the only split triple twist of the day, setting the tone for a very strong outing. A fall late in the program on a throw triple loop kept Denney and Frazier from winning the free skate, but their lead from the short program yesterday kept them in the top spot.
    “Truthfully, I’m just really happy that we stuck with the plan that (Sappenfield) laid out for us a month ago,” Frazier explained. “We had some good days and some bad days, and no matter what, she still inspired us. We were able to just let our bodies take over and do the job for us today.”
    Denney and Frazier earned 148. 84 points in the competition, and are looking forward to competing on the senior level next season.
    “Haven is my future,” Frazier said. “Is that okay with you, Haven?”
    Denney laughed and nodded in agreement. “Of course!”
    Team ‘lyrical’, Britney Simpson, 15, and Matthew Blackmer, 20, moved up from third place after the short program, to win the silver medals. The duo placed first in the free skate.
    “We did everything that we could do,” Simpson said. “It was just like training at home.”
    Skating first of the medal contenders, the Junior Grand Prix Finalists performed beautifully to music from the movie Titanic. Their program included two clean throw triple jumps—a loop and a Salchow, as well as level four spins.
    “This is my first nationals on any level other than Junior Nationals,” Blackmer explained. “I am glad that we did so well, but I’m also happy that I can relax now and really enjoy the rest of the competition this week.”
    Simpson and Blackmer have a great shot to be named to the Junior Worlds team as well, and look forward to competing next season again on the same level.
    “We are staying junior,” Simpson confirmed. “We already decided before coming here.”
    They earned 146.43 points in the competition.
    Team ‘classical’ – 18-year-old Kylie Duarte and 20-year-old Colin Grafton, finished with the bronze medals. In their ninth season together as a team, the duo agreed that sticking together has made all of the difference in the world.
    “Every day brings something new,” Grafton said. “We take everything step by step, and over time that has served us well.”
    The bronze medalists, who will compete on the senior level next season, skated to Dr. Zhivago. They attempted some of the most aggressive technical content of the competition. A throw triple loop and a triple toe loop-double toe loop combination were perhaps the biggest highlights.
    “We drew from last year’s experience of skating last, and it made it a lot easier,” Grafton said.
    They finished the competition with 144.35 points, and hope to be named to the three-teamed Junior Worlds team as well.
    Slipping from second in the short program to fourth overall were Jessica Noelle Calalang, 16, and Zach Sidhu, 20. Two falls marred an otherwise good program, and they finished with 134.84 points.
    Finishing in fifth place were Jessica Pfund, 14, and AJ Reiss, 19, with 126.99 points, while another Sappenfield team, 17-year-old Madeline Aaron and 19-year-old Max Settlage finished in sixth (125.34).

CITAZIONE
    Gold takes U.S. National junior ladies title by a landslide

us_jr_ladies_lp
    Gracie Gold, the highly touted 16-year-old from Springfield, Ill., decimated the competition at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and takes home the junior ladies title. Her score of 178.92 points is the highest total earned by a junior lady since the new judging system was put into place in 2006.
    “I have some improvements to make to this program, but overall I think it went really well,” Gold said. “I’m really happy.”
    Gold was on fire from the moment she took the ice for her The Mission/The Untouchables program, completely focused on the task at hand. She opened with a triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination that would make some of the men’s competitors have cause for concern. The champion landed seven triple jumps in the program, and made only one mistake—a fall on a giant double Axel.
    “I kept the same long program from last season, with some changes, but I think subliminally I was hoping to use this piece as a vehicle to take me somewhere,” the champion said. “And it took me to the podium.”
    Finishing in the runner up position was another 16-year-old—Ashley Cain from Coppell, Texas, who skated a sophisticated and mature program to an instrumental version of Queen’s Who Wants to Live Forever.
    “I really felt the energy from the crowd, and I also drew from some of the momentum that Gracie created,” Cain said. “It was so much fun out there tonight.”
    Cain managed six triple jumps, and ironically made the same mistake as Gold—falling on the double Axel within inches of where the champion fell.
    “It’s kind of funny that that happened,” Cain said laughing. “We have the same choreographer—Scott Brown, and we are both blaming him. There wasn’t anything wrong with the ice—it was just an odd coincidence.”
    The silver medalist finished with 155.48 points, giving Gold the largest margin of victory for a junior lady at the U.S. Championships.
    “Gracie really deserves everything that she is getting this year,” Cain asserted. “I hope that she gets named to the Junior Worlds team, and goes there and takes the Russians down.”
    Finishing in third place after a second place finish in the short program was 15-year-old Hannah Miller, a resident of Williamstown, Mich.
    The 2011 U.S. novice champion struggled with the landings on several of her jumps, and fell on a triple flip attempt. The bronze medalist did land four clean triples in her Masquerade Waltz program, propelling her to the podium despite her fourth place finish in the free skate. Miller earned 149.68 points in the competition.
    “My training for this event went great, but I think I just pulled in on my jumps a little too tight,” Miller explained. “I have a lot of work to do, but I think that I’m pretty happy with how things turned out.”
    Finishing with the pewter medal was Barbie Long, 15, from St. Louis, Mo. Long moved up from fifth in short program by placing third with her 42nd Street free skate. She landed five clean triples, and finished the competition with 144.57 points.
    Mariah Bell moved up from sixth place to finish in fifth overall, while local girl Polina Edmonds had a rough outing and plummeted to sixth place with a disappointing performance.

Edited by Andrea Rika - 26/1/2012, 19:39

10.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    Anonymous
    premetto che non ho visto i video e non conosco i pattinatori della categoria novice comunque è davvero interessante che 3 dei primi classificati abbiano un cognome asiatico... Nel senso che l'Asia sta davvero diventando colonna portante del pattinaggio...

11.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    Io credo che sia la loro disciplina a spronare i figli ad allenarsi un elevato numero di ore e quindi ad ottenere risultati precoci. Penso sia un fattore culturale più che fisico.
    Certo è che la comunità cinese deve essere piuttosto ricca, in America, per consentire ai figli di pattinare a livello agonistico (in Italia una famiglia media fa difficoltà, ma forse è dovuto all'alto costo di questo sport qui).

12.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status

podio maschile
    categoria JUNIOR

420049_10150735433942538_278550292537_12536346_1419382879_n
    Rising star Nathan Chen, 12, the two-time national Novice champion, won the Junior title with 193.90 points ahead of Timothy Dolensky (187.84), Phillip Warren (182.17) and Harrison Choate (163.43).

13.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status

JUNIOR - RESULTS

JUNIOR LADIES
    1 7 Gracie Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC 1 60.21 1 118.71 178.92
    2 8 Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of TX 3 51.80 2 103.68 155.48
    3 9 Hannah Miller, Lansing SC 2 54.44 4 95.24 149.68
    4 11 Barbie Long, Springfield FSC 5 48.80 3 95.77 144.57

5 10 Mariah Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 6 46.75 5 90.15 136.90
    6 12 Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 4 51.02 6 83.04 134.06
    7 1 Gwendolyn Prescott, Peninsula SC 8 44.84 9 74.69 119.53
    8 2 Jenelle Herman, SC Of Boston 10 39.03 7 78.82 117.85
    9 6 Katarina Kulgeyko, Los Angeles FSC 7 46.55 10 69.38 115.93
    10 5 Allison Timlen, Columbia FSC (MD) 12 35.94 8 75.63 111.57
    11 4 Jessica Hu, SC of NC 9 42.35 11 67.77 110.12
    12 3 Camille Davis, Salt Lake Figure Skating 11 37.43 12 65.24 102.67

JUNIOR MEN
    1 10 Nathan Chen, Oval FSC 2 63.15 1 130.75 193.90
    2 9 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC 1 63.20 3 124.64 187.84
    3 8 Philip Warren, All Year FSC 5 57.42 2 124.75 182.17
    4 6 Harrison Choate, SC Of Boston 10 45.18 4 118.25 163.43

5 12 Lukas Kaugars, Broadmoor SC 4 57.96 6 96.99 154.95
    6 11 Timothy Koleto, Broadmoor SC 3 59.18 10 89.83 149.01
    7 7 Jay Yostanto, All Year FSC 6 54.72 7 93.82 148.54
    8 1 Troy Tomasello, Strongsville SC 7 53.90 8 93.46 147.36
    9 4 Ryan Hartley, Queen City FSC 11 44.67 5 97.18 141.85
    10 2 Andrew Nagode, University of DE FSC 9 47.91 11 87.08 134.99
    11 3 David Wang, All Year FSC 8 52.62 12 80.10 132.72
    12 5 Emmanuel Savary, SC of NY 12 36.37 9 93.08 129.45

JUNIOR PAIRS
    1 10 Haven Denney, Broadmoor SC
    Brandon Frazier, All Year FSC 1 52.83 2 96.01 148.84
    2 8 Britney Simpson, Broadmoor SC
    Matthew Blackmer, Detroit SC 3 49.12 1 97.31 146.43
    3 11 Kylie Duarte, Colonial FSC
    Colin Grafton, All Year FSC 4 48.83 3 95.52 144.35
    4 9 Jessica Noelle Calalang, DuPage FSC
    Zack Sidhu, Las Vegas FSC 2 50.84 4 84.00 134.84

5 7 Jessica Pfund, Broadmoor SC
    AJ Reiss, Los Angeles FSC 7 43.71 5 83.28 126.99
    6 5 Madeline Aaron, Coyotes SC of AZ
    Max Settlage, Broadmoor SC 5 46.26 6 79.08 125.34
    7 4 AnnaMarie Pearce, St. Moritz ISC
    Craig Norris, St. Moritz ISC 6 45.54 7 76.67 122.21
    8 6 Brianna de la Mora, TX Gulf Coast FSC
    Taylor Wilson, TX Gulf Coast FSC 8 39.44 8 74.83 114.27
    9 3 Olivia Oltmanns, Dakotah FSC
    Joshua Santillan, All Year FSC 10 37.40 9 71.90 109.30
    10 2 Audrey Goldberg, SC Of Southern NJ
    Joseph Dolkiewicz, SC Of Southern NJ 11 37.15 10 71.84 108.99
    11 1 Cali Fujimoto, Peninsula SC
    Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne, SC of Lake Placid 9 38.45 11 68.99 107.44

JUNIOR ICE DANCE
    1 11 Alexandra Aldridge, Detroit SC
    Daniel Eaton, Detroit SC 1 54.42 1 87.68 142.10
    2 9 Lauri Bonacorsi, Peninsula SC
    Travis Mager, IceWorks SC 2 53.39 2 80.34 133.73
    3 13 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC
    Quinn Carpenter, WA FSC 4 49.11 3 76.99 126.10
    4 10 Rachel Parsons, WA FSC
    Michael Parsons, WA FSC 3 50.80 4 72.46 123.26

5 12 Madeline Heritage, University ISC of San Jose
    Nathaniel Fast, University ISC of San Jose 5 48.82 7 69.35 118.17
    6 8 Kaitlin Hawayek, SC of Western NY
    Michael Bramante, Detroit SC 6 46.85 5 69.92 116.77
    7 5 Amanda Bertsch, Ann Arbor FSC
    Sam Kaplun, All Year FSC 9 44.88 6 69.40 114.28
    8 7 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC
    Ross Gudis, WA FSC 7 46.67 10 64.85 111.52
    9 6 Jessica Mancini, Broadmoor SC
    Tyler Brooks, Broadmoor SC 8 45.81 9 65.08 110.89
    10 1 Roxette Howe, All Year FSC
    Mark Jahnke, Seattle SC 10 43.33 8 65.61 108.94
    11 4 Cassandra Jeandell, University of DE FSC
    Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 11 37.54 11 61.83 99.37
    12 2 Danielle Gamelin, SC of NY
    Alexander Gamelin, SC of NY 12 36.32 12 60.42 96.74
    13 3 Jenna Dzierzanowski, Birmingham FSC
    Vinny Dispenza, Panthers FSC 13 28.07 13 48.30 76.37

14.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status

SENIOR - STARTING ORDER

26 Jannuary 2012

Categoria senior: ordine di partenza 26 Gennaio

PAIRS
    1 Tiffany Vise, Don Baldwin
    2 Kloe Chanel Bautista, Tyler Harris
    3 Gretchen Donlan, Andrew Speroff
    4 Rita Fehr, Peter Biver
    5 Caydee Denney, John Coughlin
    6 Andrea Poapst, Christopher Knierim
    7 Alexa Scimeca, Ivan Dimitrov
    8 Felicia Zhang, Nathan Bartholomay
    9 Cassie Andrews, Timothy LeDuc
    10 Mary Beth Marley, Rockne Brubaker
    11 Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir
    12 Amanda Evora, Mark Ladwig
    13 Ashley Cain, Joshua Reagan

LADIES
    1 Yasmin Siraj
    2 Mirai Nagasu
    3 Haley Dunne
    4 Morgan Bell
    5 Alissa Czisny
    6 McKinzie Daniels
    7 Nina Jiang
    8 Joelle Forte
    9 Angela Wang
    10 Aimee Buchanan
    11 Agnes Zawadzki
    12 Vanessa Lam
    13 Caroline Zhang
    14 Ashley Wagner
    15 Rachael Flatt
    16 Sophia Adams
    17 Kiri Baga
    18 Christina Gao
    19 Leah Keiser

15.     +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status

SENIOR - SHORT PROGRAM

26 Jannuary 2012

Categoria senior: risultati programma corto 26 Gennaio

PAIRS
    1 10 Mary Beth Marley, DuPage FSC
    Rockne Brubaker, All Year FSC 65.80
    2 12 Amanda Evora, Southwest FL FSC
    Mark Ladwig, Red River Valley FSC 61.27
    3 5 Caydee Denney, Broadmoor SC
    John Coughlin, KS City FSC 60.88
    4 11 Marissa Castelli, SC Of Boston
    Simon Shnapir, SC Of Boston 60.56
    5 3 Gretchen Donlan, SC Of Boston
    Andrew Speroff, SC Of Boston 57.77
    6 6 Andrea Poapst, Broadmoor SC
    Christopher Knierim, Broadmoor SC 53.43
    7 13 Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of TX
    Joshua Reagan, Stars FSC of TX 53.04
    8 7 Alexa Scimeca, DuPage FSC
    Ivan Dimitrov, Individual Member 51.93
    9 8 Felicia Zhang, SC of NY
    Nathan Bartholomay, University of DE FSC 49.57
    10 1 Tiffany Vise, Broadmoor SC
    Don Baldwin, Los Angeles FSC 45.65
    11 9 Cassie Andrews, IN World Sk Acad FSC
    Timothy LeDuc, Eastern IA FSC 45.35
    12 2 Kloe Chanel Bautista, All Year FSC
    Tyler Harris, SC Of Boston 42.16
    13 4 Rita Fehr, Eau Claire FSC
    Peter Biver, St. Paul FSC 31.37

LADIES
    1 11 Agnes Zawadzki, Broadmoor SC 66.24
    2 5 Alissa Czisny, Detroit SC 63.14
    3 14 Ashley Wagner, SC of Wilmington 63.06
    4 13 Caroline Zhang, All Year FSC 60.18
    5 2 Mirai Nagasu, Pasadena FSC 59.02
    6 18 Christina Gao, Northern KY SC 54.83
    7 12 Vanessa Lam, All Year FSC 54.57
    8 7 Nina Jiang, TX Gulf Coast FSC 53.66
    9 15 Rachael Flatt, Broadmoor SC 52.71
    10 19 Leah Keiser, All Year FSC 52.44
    11 1 Yasmin Siraj, SC Of Boston 51.96
    12 3 Haley Dunne, WA FSC 51.41
    13 16 Sophia Adams, All Year FSC 51.40
    14 17 Kiri Baga, FSC of Bloomington 50.15
    15 6 McKinzie Daniels, Broadmoor SC 49.96
    16 9 Angela Wang, Salt Lake Figure Skating 48.98
    17 8 Joelle Forte, SC of NY 48.13
    18 4 Morgan Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 38.55
    19 10 Aimee Buchanan, Colonial FSC 37.77

us_sr_pairs_sp
    Marley and Brubaker lead pairs at U.S. Nationals

Mary Beth Marley, 16, and Rockne Brubaker, 25, took the lead in the senior pairs short program at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, skating the only clean program of the top three contenders. With rain clouds forming outside the HP Pavilion, their Singin’ in the Rain program drew a partial standing ovation from the San Jose, Calif., crowd.
    “Tonight felt really good to perform again,” Brubaker said. “We’ve trained hard, and we have felt good all week, which allowed us to let loose and tackle each element one at a time.”
    As a two-time U.S. Champion with Keauna McLaughlin, Brubaker is in familiar territory, but his partner of two years finds herself in uncharted waters. The two are focused not on placement, however, but instead on improvement.
    “I definitely feel that we’ve improved since Skate America,” Marley said. “I’m happy to get a level two on our twist because the catch isn’t something that has been easy for me. Our components are getting better and better, so that’s very encouraging.”
    Brubaker added, “Longevity is key. I think that we are on the right track, but it’s going to take some years to get to where we want to be. But I have to say that this is the best I felt skating in a couple of years.”
    Marley, a native of Downer’s Grove, Ill., and Brubaker, from nearby Algonquin, Ill., were rock solid from the very start, nailing side by side triple toe loops. The southern California trained team also performed a split triple twist and a strong throw triple Lutz. They lead by more than four points with a score of 65.80 points.
    Finishing in second place are two-time silver medalists Amanda Evora, 27, and Mark Ladwig, 31. Despite a fall on an under rotated triple toe loop by Evora, they scored 61.27 points.
    “It was a comfortable performance,” Ladwig shared. “We executed a number of great things, and my personal low goal was to score 60 and we did that. I’m happy.”
    Evora was just as optimistic about their performance.
    “Despite the one mistake, we continued to perform throughout the program,” she said. “We remained focused and were able to finish strong.”
    In their The Man I Love” program, Evora and Ladwig earned level fours on each of their spins, their lift, and their step sequence. When asked about being in second place—their home for the past two seasons, Evora laughed.
    “Before we were second, we were forth for a couple of years,” she said. “And before that we were seventh, and 10th, and 12th. Placements can change from one season to the next. After being in this sport for so long, I’ve learned it’s more about that feeling at the end of a performance, and that’s what we’re pushing for.”
    In third place are the new team of Caydee Denney, 18, and John Coughlin, 26, each a former national champions in this event. A fall on the throw triple flip was the lone error in their nationals debut as a team.
    “I think we probably had a little extra adrenaline,” Coughlin admitted. “We’ve been waiting so long to compete here at nationals that I think we just got a little excited.”
    Skating to familiar music—Lee Holdridge’s East of Eden, Denney and Coughlin seem to be on the right track. A huge triple twist and commanding side-by-side triple toe loops were perhaps the highlights of the program. They scored 60.88 points.
    “It was fun to skate in front of an audience again,” Denney said. “We’re looking forward to fighting hard in the free skate on Sunday.”
    Finishing in fourth place are Marissa Castelli, 21, and Simon Shnapir, 24, who are less than a point behind Denney and Coughlin. Teammates Gretchen Donlan, 18, and Andrew Speroff, 23, are in fifth. Last year’s junior silver medalists Andrea Poapst and Christopher Knierim are in sixth.

us_sr_ladies_sp
    Zawadzki leads the ladies at U.S. Nationals

It was a spectacular night for the American ladies at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, with just about every competitor fighting for the coveted title. In the end, it was 17-year-old Agnes Zawadzki who leads the way, skating a spectacular program after contemplating the sport altogether at the end of last season.
    “I just kind of lost my love for the sport for a while,” she said. “I wasn’t sure that I wanted to continue.”
    Instead of quitting, Zawadzki decided on a coaching change—from Tom Zakrasjek back to her previous coach David Santee. The 2011 U.S. pewter medalist has seemingly made the right choice—electrifying the crowd with her sexy Harlem Nocturne/Whatever Lola Wants short program. Zawadzki opened with a triple toe loop-triple toe loop combination, and followed it up with a huge solo triple Lutz.
    “I started to train better after a disappointing Grand Prix season,” she said. “A lot of my mental mindset has changed a lot since the beginning of the season. I’ve been working with a sports psychologist who has been helping me to find the fun with skating again.”
    Zawadzki earned 66.24 points in the short program, taking a three-point lead into the free skate.
    “It’s kind of surreal,” she said.
    Defending champion Alissa Czisny finished in second place with her La Vie en Rose program, making only one mistake—popping her double Axel into a single.
    “The program was good except for the hiccup,” she said. “I’m looking forward to competing Saturday in the long.”
    Czisny, 24, opened with a triple Lutz-double toe loop, and earned level fours and positive Grades of Execution (GOE) for each of her spins. She carries 63.14 points into the free skate.
    “Last year I was in second place after the short, so I am not in unfamiliar territory,” the two-time champion said. “My goal for Saturday is to make each and every element the best it can be and not worry about the result.”
    Behind Czisny by just .08 points, 20-year-old Ashley Wagner backed up her pre-competition talk with a strong short program, ending her streak of bad luck at the U.S. nationals.
    “It’s been four years since I did something even close to a clean short program,” she said with a sly grin. “I really just tried to focus on how I felt after I got off the ice from all of those (flawed) short programs. I thought of this as my second chance to do that perfect program and channeled that tonight.”
    Wagner went clean in her Polluck short program, landing a triple flip-double toe as well as a triple loop. Her point count was 63.06.
    “I’m in third place, and I have to have that drive to fight to get on the World team,” Wagner said. “(Coach) Nicks has helped me channel my intense desire (to win), and I will keep the same plan for the long program.”
    Caroline Zhang, 18, finished in fourth place with her best short program in years, and attempted a triple loop-triple loop combination. The southern California native ended her program with a fantastic layback spin and a glowing smile. She scored 60.18 points, and is well within reach of a medal on Saturday.
    Finishing in fifth place was Olympian Mirai Nagasu, 18, who struggled with the landings of her jumps, and looked somewhat annoyed just to be on the ice. She is a little more than four points behind Czisny with 59.02 points.
    Christina Gao, 17, is in sixth place with 554.83 points.

22 replies since 3/12/2011, 22:55   3129 views