1. Andrea Rika
        +1   -1

Group
    Admin

Status
    Five favorite things with Jeremy Abbott
    Prodigious Tweeter favors sushi, home-cooked Italian food

xGTguyHm
    (09/12/2011) - If there's one thing Jeremy Abbott learned last season, it's to make his equipment top priority.
    "I learned to make sure my skates were settled before the season starts," the two-time U.S. champion said at U.S. Figure Skating's Champs Camp in late August.

Ill-fitting boots contributed to a somewhat disappointing 2010-11 season for Abbott, who said equipment issues caused his technique to suffer. This time around, he feels far better prepared.

"We spent a big portion of the summer re-working my technique and rebuilding it all ... I feel like I'm on the right track."

Abbott debuted his new short set to a big band medley at Champs Camp, and he looks forward to skating it at Cup of China and the Rostelecom Cup this fall.

"It's fun and upbeat," Abbott said. "It's swing, [so it's] campy and has lots of personality."

The program was choreographed by Champion West Coast swing dancers Buddy and Benji Schwimmer, the former of whom was the season two winner of So You Think You Can Dance.

It's the second time in two seasons Abbott has turned to the dance world. Last year, Antonio Najarro choreographed his short to a Flamenco tango.

"This one is more laid back," he said. "I'm at a swing club, dancing around with people. It's got a lot of facial expression, a lot of body expression ... It's not quite so stiff and static and proper."

Any favorite movies?

It's a difficult thing for me to choose one movie -- I love so many! A few are Kung Fu Panda, Spirited Away, Children of Men, X-Men: First Class, La Vita e Bella, American Beauty, etc.

How about favorite foods?

I love sushi and real home-cooked Italian, and then, of course, there's Chipotle!

Read any good books lately?

I loved the Harry Potter series. Also, Angels and Demons, Running with Scissors, Catcher in the Rye and Me Talk Pretty One Day.

I am currently reading A Fortune Teller Told Me and Bossy Pants. Both are great so far!

TV shows?

Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Spongebob Square Pants, Family Guy and So You Think You Can Dance. I also love the History, Discovery and Learning channels.

You've skated all over the world. What are your favorite places?

I always love to perform in Asia. Japan, Korea and China are always such a pleasure! I love Europe for tourism and vacation. Paris is one of my favorite cities. I went to Greece last year for vacation, and it was breathtaking. I also love the whole of Italy. I love the food and culture, and I always feel very comfortable there.

Bonus question. You've got some free time. What are you going to do with it?

I love to snowboard but don't get to do much of it these days. I also enjoy reading and cooking.

And, as I'm sure all of you know, I love Tweeting when I'm bored.

icenetwork.com

180 replies since 22/7/2010, 17:17   3057 views